If you rely on your van for work, keeping it in the best condition possible is extremely important. You wouldn't want to miss out on a lucrative job because you broke down on the way there! Here are a few quick and simple maintenance tips every van driver should know.
1. Stop your tyres wearing down by paying more attention to the way you drive. By not being as heavy on the brakes and slowing down more as you approach corners, you will reduce abrasion levels.
2. You might completely forget about your washer fluid levels, until you're on a muddy country road and you can't see properly through the layer of dirt caked to your windscreen. Regularly top up your washer fluid, and consider keeping some spare in the van with you in case of emergencies.
3. If you have to drive long distances on a regular basis, chances are that your van's engine will eventually start to feel the strain. Look after it by checking the oil and coolant levels often.
4. Don't forget to check your tyre pressure every week. This is especially important in summer, when hot temperatures increase the likelihood of tyres bursting.
5. Working late or travelling long distances may mean you have to drive back home in darkness. Maintain optimum visibility at all times by cleaning your lights, as dust and dirt will accumulate on them over time. Make sure to check the condition of your bulbs as well, and replace any damaged ones.
6. After a long day of driving to and from a job, the last thing you might want to do is wash your van. However, ensuring your van's paint work is free from grime and dirt will not only present a more professional image, it will stop it from rusting.